This sweet and spicy banana bread gets the majority of it’s sweetness from whole foods—bananas and sweet potatoes.
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 sweet potato, roasted and mashed
1/4 cup coconut sugar
¼ cup date sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
2 tbs coconut oil
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cup oat flour (ground oatmeal)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease loaf pan.
2. Mash bananas and roasted sweet potato. (Here is my favorite way to roast sweet potatoes from Empowered Sustenance)
3. Add egg, coconut sugar, date sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract to mashed bananas and sweet potato in a large bowl.
4. In a food processor, grind oatmeal until fine to make oat flour.
5. In second bowl, mix together oat flour, spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and ground flax.
6. Mix wet and dry ingredients.
7. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 35-45 mins, until done in center.
Option: this recipe can be made vegan by replacing the egg with a flax egg.
This recipe was inspired by Robust Recipes